Yesterday evening, President Obama took historic action to change enforcement of America’s broken immigration system with an executive action on immigration. Many of you are surely wondering how these changes may affect you, your families, and people you know. While the details are still being worked out, what we know so far is this:
- Deferred Action will be available to the parents of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, if they meet certain conditions.
- The current DACA program will be revised to make more people eligible.
- The I-601 provisional waiver program will be expanded to allow more people to apply for waivers while still inside the United States
- Fewer people with minor criminal charges or no criminal record will end up facing deportation.
- Young people with undocumented immediate relatives will no longer be prevented from joining certain branches of the military.
- Entrepreneurs and high-tech workers will find it easier to come to the United States.
We are reviewing all our open cases between now and the end of the year to identify clients who may benefit from these new actions. If you are a current client, we will contact you if we believe you qualify. If you are not a current client, but have questions about the President’s actions and whether they provide benefits for your friends, family, or you, please feel free to contact our office.
This is an exciting time, and many things are about to change for the better. I appreciate the trust you have shown in our firm in the past, and I am looking forward to being able to help many more people in the future.